Saturday, January 29, 2011

Our Personal Miracle

On Wednesday, I was taking Chase to Kindergarten and we were in a roll over collision.  I am still in shock over it.  We live 1 mile from the school and our residential roads are very sleepy. There was no traffic at the time, but a girl ran a stop sign going pretty fast and broadsided us.  I tried to swerve and break when I saw her, but there was no time.  I never would have thought we could be in this bad of a wreck in our little town. 

Chase cut his finger and has some bruises on his forehead, knee, and shoulder.  Luckily the ambulance crew had a dinosaur band-aid!  That helped Chase to feel so much better.  I was so relieved that when he got out of his seat and came to me.  I immediately was checking him over, head to toe, while I still lying in glass. 
I really believe he was being held by an angel and kept safe. :)

Chase and I were the only ones in the car. It happened about 12:10 since Chase goes to afternoon kindergarten.  We only have some minor injuries- small cuts and bruises. And I think I may have a concussion.  Concentrating has been very difficult and I have been very emotional.  I keep having a hard time saying the right words.  That is very frustrating to me.  But I am so grateful that we
 are ok.  That moment until I knew Chase was ok was the scariest moment of my life.  I was NOT wearing my seatbelt.
I am not usually so foolish.
  I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON! 
Thankfully Chase was wearing his seatbelt.
.  I guess I thought I was fine running down the road without it.  Boy, was I wrong!  I would never go far without my seatbelt.  Now, I will always wear it- even if I am only going a few blocks!  When we rolled, I was thrown from my seat and hit my head on the roof and then hit the passenger side window.

It busted out and I landed on the ground and glass beneath me.  I am definitely very sore.  Especially my left leg- where the car hit.
But it could have been so much worse!

 Another miracle that day was that my mom had Livvy. She had insisted on taking Livvy to a gymnastics class and came and picked her up for it since I had to get Chase to school.  Where we rolled, Livvy could have sustained a serious head injury. It is haunting to even think about.  I am still in amazement at the blessings we received that day.  Chase is doing wonderfully well.  He is so brave and resilient.  I love on him as much as I can and tell him all the time how I am soooo glad that he is ok.  I can't thank Heavenly Father enough for protecting him.  And all of us. I love that boy!
Since the accident happened here in town, we were so well taken care of by our Police Chief (this is a picture Chase took of him that day) and all of the ambulance and fire fighters.  I am thankful that Wade works with all these people and that we were surrounded by so many familiar faces.  Wade got there about half an hour after the accident and we had neighbors help with our other kids while we were at the hospital.  More blessings. 

 I am just taking it slow, hoping to feel back to normal in a few days.  There are still some questions as if the girl that hit us has valid insurance, so we are waiting to see what will happen about replacing our car, but at this point, I don't even care.  If I have to walk everywhere I will, knowing that we are ok. Our lives were spared.  And that's all that matters right now. 

Chaser sitting in Chief James' truck.

(Learn from my Lesson!)
Buckle your seatbelt- even if you aren't going far!

7 comments:

Karin said...

I am so glad you guys are ok!!! I am sitting here in tears, because that is so scary and it really could happen to any of us. Me and my kids hardly ever wear our seatbelts when I take them to school. We will for sure be wearing them now!! If you need anything, let me know.

Annie said...

I am so glad you & Chase are OK!! I hope you feel better soon.

Lori said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad that you both are okay. That had to have been so scarey! Yep, there were many angels surrounding you.
I hope you feel better soon!

Tweeb and Danyette said...

Oh my heck that is sooo scary. I am glad you guys are okay. It is crazy that stuff like that happens in only a moments time. Get feeling better!

grammap said...

Wow, Melissa, that is so scary! I hadn't even heard about it until Michelle told me on Sunday. Apparently she had seen your blog. I am so thankful that you are both okay. Yeah, always wear those seatbelts!!!
Aunt Marilyn

Ace said...

Hoping you are feeling better each day. I will call and check in on you tomorrow.

Been praying for you and Chase. I put your names on the prayer roll. I sure love you and I am so grateful you are both alive and well (for the most part).

Alison said...

Melissa! This is absolutely terrifying! Just to think--in sleepy little Salem! Accidents are so haunting and take a while to recover from. Take it easy. SO glad that the Lord was watching out for you!!!