Saturday, February 9, 2008

Livvy's Birth Story

As badly as I wanted to go into labor on my own, it just wasn't happening.  And even though I was only one day past my due date, I agreed to be induced. I just couldn't wait to see our baby girl! 

 I checked in to the hospital early Sunday morning.  After all the prep work, they started me on pitosin about 8 am.  All was going well and even the contractions weren't too bad.  A little while after, my doctor broke my water and I received an epidural.  Things took a scary turn for the worse when her heart rate would go down too low- even in between contractions.  The doctor decided to put some water back in to the baby.  That helped a little, but not much. 

Fortunately, at this point I dialated quickly and we were ready to deliver.  As soon as Livvy was born, the doctor tugged on the cord and it detached from the placenta and uterus.  Apparently, she had a condition we didn't even know about called Velementous Cord insertion- which is when the cord is barely attached to the placenta.  We were so blessed since only about 1 percent of babies with this condition even survive in utero since it can break away at any time during the pregnancy.  This is also why her heart rate was struggling so during labor.. 
 My doctor told us it was a good thing I didn't go into labor at home since labor can especially cause this condition to worsen, causing the cord detach and therefore, lose our baby.  Also, If my doctor had known of this condition while I was pregnant, I would have had to live at the hospital under constant monitoring to make sure the baby was ok.  I probably also would not have been allowed at all to deliver naturally. 

 Thank goodness my labor went quickly so I didn't have to have a c section.  I am so thankful that everything turned out safe and sound.  In so many ways, I was blessed that day and all throughout my pregnancy.  We were so blessed to have Livvy born to our family.  We can't imagine life without her.                  Olivia Brynne, 6 pounds 12 ounces, 18 inches,
                                February 3, 2008, 11:44 am
 At first sight of Livvy, I looked up at Wade, and said, "Aww... SHE"S SO CUTE!"  She really was!  She was the prettiest newborn.  She had the sweetest face and most darling expressions, even that very first day.  I was holding her and loving her and the nurse kept wanting to take her to the nursery, but I kept begging her to please let me keep her a little longer.  I literally just couldn't let her go.  Finally, the nurse said, "Ok... 15 more minutes and that's all!"  It was wonderful.
 Daddy's new baby girl.  :)  We were both so in love!

                                         I guess you could say we all were!
                   Luckily, Daddy took these pictures in the nursery.



                            Getting to hold my sweet baby.  We love her!



No comments: