Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Quite the Scare

Saturday, was one of the scariest days of my life. Livvy became very sick- catching what chase had had a few days before. She was running a fever, and I wasn't too worried, figuring it would pass quickly. But even fever meds seemed to take no effect. So, that afternoon, I was holding her when she started to jerk a little. I ran her to the bed, and she was having a seizure. Then, she rolled over to her side and turned blue in about 3 seconds and then quickly to purple. I quickly called 911, and they coached me. I washed her with a cold cloth, tilted her head back to get air, etc. but she was totally limp and turned to a grayish-white despite a few ragged breaths. I truly thought my baby was dying!!! And there was nothing I could do for her. When the ambulance crew walked in and took over, they were very serious. I knew we were in a bad predicament, but in good hands. I instantly broke down as they took over and when they asked me her name, I was sobbing so uncontrollably, I couldn't even say it. It makes me cry even just reliving it now. They finally got her somewhat conscious and we rode in her first, and hopefully ONLY ride in the ambulance to the hospital. It was so scary to see my baby so weak, not knowing what her fate would be. I, of course, was praying "unceasingly". At the hospital, she finally started crying and we were all relieved! Oh, that cry!

After many IV attempt in her tiny arm, they took blood and performed many other excruciating tests. At the end of the day, they concluded just a virus and her white blood cell count was down, but expected. They said it was just a febrile seizure, but since this is her 2nd seizure, we will have to be diligent anytime she is sick and keep her fever down or it could easily happen again. The scariest part was that she totally quit breathing.

However, I am SO thankful that this happened at a moment that she was in my arms and not in bed or something. I really do believe her life was preserved and I am so grateful! I can't imagine my life without any one of my children, and I truly felt like she was protected. Thank Heavens!

I took these pictures with my phone at the end of the day, still at the hospital. She was looking so much better at this point. And today, my little sweet pea is back to normal, playing, talking, and being her adorable self, except she is very clingy and not sleeping too well. I think she still feels a bit traumatized. But, I am happy to hold her all she needs right now. :) I truly hope this never happens again and pray that she will always be watched over. We need her, oh, so much!
I learned some valuable lessons that day, which I am still processing. Some are very personal, but Most are that prayers are answered, we are loved, we live in a wonderful country with great people who serve, and I am so thankful for my children. Very summarized, I know, but in my heart, these thoughts run very deep!

I'd also like to say thanks to the friends and family who supported us through this tough day and included us in your prayers.


Alison said...

What an incredibly scary experience! I can't even imagine how you must have felt. (Ashton choked the day after he was born, and that was enough for me to start balling, paralyzed by fear!). I'm sure someone was watching over you--helping you do all the right things!! Hope she has a speedy recovery!

Tweeb and Danyette said...

Oh my heck, I am sooo glad that everything turned out to be okay. I cannot even imagine how scary that must have been. It will make me count my blessings!

Ace said...

I was reeling all day over this after I spoke with you--it shook me up good and really got me thinking.

I am so sorry this happened to you guys, but I also can already see all that you gained from going through it. Funny how that works.

Glad she is feeling better!

Love you all-

lacey said...

omg melissa how scary i am so glad she is doing ok now. i will keep her in my prayers. she is a lucky little girl to have such a strong mom. hang in there.

The Lowerys said...

Wow, I'm so glad that she is okay. Just reading that brought tears to my eyes. I hope you never have to go through that again!

Neika Boulter said...

oh those pictures make it even more scary and sad, but so good to have them! I'm sorry it was such a bad day! and SOOO glad she is okay!

Karin said...

I hope you all are ok. I haven't looked at blogs for awhile, so I'm glad that I scrolled through yours. Let me know if you guys ever need anything.