Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Chasing the Big World

My baby boy started kindergarten this year.  It's been so great for him so far.  He was so ready!  But, as for me, I don't know if I ever would have been.  I was just thinking the other day about when I was pregnant with Livvy and the older kids were in school.  I was so sick all the time, so I lived on the couch watching reruns of The Biggest Loser.  Well, Chaser was just the best little buddy.  He would climb up next to me and talk to Livvy in utero.  He would sing songs with me and we read lots and lots and lots of books.  I guess that was the only thing I could accomplish at that time that made me feel like I wasn't just a total loser mom.  And sorry for the visual, but Chase would always hold back my hair when I was throwing up.  What a sweetie.  That time was so hard on me, but now those memories are so fond.  Now, he has flown the coup
(for 2 1/2 hours a day), and I am happy for new adventures to come his way. 


Chase giving his baby sister loves on the first day of school.
We live close to the school, so I let him ride shotgun in Daddy's "happy jeep" (that's what chase coined it when he was little because it is yellow).  What a big kid!

Getting all settled in his classroom...


Then, at the end of the day, he came home with this HERO hat.  They were learning a lot about citizenship and patriotism.  I love that!  He has a great teacher!  And what's best of all, Chaser loves it too. He has so much fascination with soldiers and heroes.  I'm glad he is being taught about such great examples of those who serve our country.

I thought I'd also include a few Chaserisms that have to do with what he's learning:
He saw an explanation point and excitedly told Daddy what it meant- to read it with excitement.  Then Wade asked him what a question mark meant, he answered that correctly too.  When Wade asked him what a period meant at the end of a sentence, he said,
"To read it Boring..."

When Chase had his assessment, he did so great on all of the parts, especially reading.  But, then his teacher started asking math questions. 
"So, Chase, if you have 5 trucks and your friend brings over  3 trucks, how many will you have?"
or
"If you pick 7 apples, and then eat 4 of them, how many will you have?"
Chase just looked at her very emphatically and said, "You know, I just really don't know this stuff."
His teacher laughed so hard she almost fell out of her chair.  I guess you had to be there, but it was so cute the way he said it. 

And a couple of totally random Chaserisms...
He was mad at me yesterday, because I wouldn't let him play on the computer.  When he wouldn't quit fussing, I sent him to his bed to think about his behavior and to settle down.
He climbed onto his bed, sobbing, and then screamed at me so I'd be sure to hear him in the kitchen,
"I WISH I WAS MADE OF JELL-O!"

Um.... Okay...???


Today I accidentally bonked him in the head with his dulcimer and he said,
           "I think you just killed one of my best brain cells."

          I'll probably get blamed for that for years, I'm guessing.

2 comments:

Candace said...

Chase,

I love you.

Love,

Aunt Des

Lori said...

So cute! I wish Kindergarten was half day here.