Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thanksgiving, Opposition, and Prayer

My life has kindof felt like a roller coaster lately, and I have bounced from moments of absolute happiness and surity, to overwhelming doubt and worry.  I'm not trying to overreact because, Really, All is well and I know there are many people struggling with much worse trials, but I have felt plagued sometimes wondering if I've done all I can do to get through the hard times in life. We have some worries for Chase and the hard times he is having with school, appointments, etc. etc.  I'm a worrier. I'm emotional. And I don't like too much stress. Especially when it comes to my children.  
I just hope I do the right things to ensure my kids' happiness and success.
I will share more details very soon, but first, I feel I need to act on a prompting.  My mind keeps recalling the General Conference talk by Pres. Eyring.  I know that I, too, am often touched by the hand of God but I need to be better at acknowledging these moments.  I feel that at this time of Thanksgiving, and also some personal adversity, I need to recognize the guidance and blessings set before me.




Here are some excerpts from Pres. Eyring's talk and the link to the whole talk:
 "I was supposed to record for my children to read, someday in the future, how I had seen the hand of God blessing our family. .
I wrote down a few lines every day for years. I never missed a day no matter how tired I was or how early I would have to start the next day. Before I would write, I would ponder this question: 
“Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” 
As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.
More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew. I became ever more certain that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I felt more gratitude for the softening and refining that come because of the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. And I grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance—even things we did not notice or pay attention to when they happened.
My point is to urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God’s kindness. "
So, I'm giving it a shot:

 Yesterday, Livvy was playing with her cousin at my mom's house and apparently, they were fighting over toys.  My mom told them they needed a time out to settle down.

My mom told me how Livvy said,
"OK, Kasha, Let's pray."
My mom asked, "Whatcha gonna pray for Livvy?"
Livvy, "That we can get along."
(She often melts my heart with the sweet things she says.)
Then she began this prayer, "Heavenly Father, Please bless the food..."

I laughed at this cute story and then later last night I thought how I am very much the same.  Maybe my intentions are in the right place, but perhaps I am not always praying for the things that would help me most.  This made me ponder on what things I have prayed for lately and how to improve on them to really meet the challenges I am facing.  I'm still figuring it out.

I'm so thankful for children who teach me so much about myself.  I also am certain that being a mother has taught me more about my Heavenly Father's love for me (and all of His children) than I ever anticipated.  I know that these experiences definitely give me insight and wisdom.  These kids are the hand of God in my life, although sometimes they act like they are from that other side. LOL
(Maybe that's just me.)


                                                          Other famous words to live by :)

1 comment:

Casey, Cammy and 5 C's said...

Love this, Melissa! Thanks for sharing...just what I needed today. :)